Video: Watch this demo
Description: Using this shive, you can demonstrate how wave pulses propagate under various conditions.
- With both ends of the shive free, grab the end of a rod at one side and move in an impulse
- Note how the resulting wave travels along the shive and is reflected at the opposite end with reduced amplitude
- Fix one or both ends of the shive using the alligator clips on stands
- Again move a rod in an impulse motion and observe how the wave propagates
- When the wave reaches the end, it will be reflected by a free to move end.
Note: The metal wires are very delicate. Make sure when handling the shive, rods do not get caught on your clothes.