Description: This shows how energy transfers between vertical and torsional modes.
- Wilberforce apparatus
- Set up a ladder under a ceiling rail with an assistant to hold it stead
- Secure the clamp to the rail and carefully lower the weighted end
- Move the ladder out of the way and adjust the weighted end until it is motionless
- Carefully pull down the weighted end about 1 ft. then release
- Note how the frequency of the translational oscillation and torsional oscillation are the same
Note: Highlighting how the torsional motion reverses at the same time the oscillation reaches a crest is a good way to demonstrate the phenomena here.