Description: This shows interference patterns from a thin air gap between glass.
The knobs on the side can be used to vary the air separation at that location.
- Newtons Rings Apparatus (colored rings)
- Overhead Projector
- (Optional) Slide projector
- (Optional) Portable Stand and S Clamp
- If the professors wants to use the slide projector method, attach the Newton’s Rings to the portable stand.
- Line it up so the slide projector is aimed at the newtons rings, and the reflected light hits the screen.
- Place the newtons rings on the Overhead projector.
- Turn on the Overhead projector.
- You may make slight adjustments to the three screws to change the spacing between glass plates. Note the change in the ring pattern.
- This can also be done with a slide projector, with the light reflected from the newtons rings displayed on a screen (harder to setup).