Video: Watch this demo
Description: This apparatus is used to show the diffraction patterns of an electron beam.
- Electron Diffraction apparatus
- (Optional) Video camera
- Turn the power supply on and check that the electron beam is visible on the screen.
- (Optional) Setup a video camera on the diffraction screen for large classes.
- Turn on the Electron diffraction apparatus.
- Wait for the beam to show up.
- Using the vertical and horizontal control knobs, move the electron beam until you notice a diffraction pattern. This may take a little guess work.
- This demo can produce three different diffraction patterns (see above pictures). This shows that an electron beam can exhibit diffraction patterns much like E&M waves.
- Make slight adjustments to the intensity knob to obtain a good picture.
- Do not leave the apparatus on for long periods of time.
- When finished, turn off the Diffraction tube.
Note: This apparatus is heavy, and the weight is near the front screen.