Description: This shows the photoelectric effect using an Neon bulb and UV light.
- 2 alligator clips
- UV light source
- Neon bulb
- Plug the variac into the wall
- Attach the alligator clips to the banana clips attached to the variac
- Attach the alligator clips to each end of the neon bulb
- Set the variac power to just under the power needed to light the bulb
- Power the variac on
- Shine the UV flashlight on the neon light, and the neon light should shine
- When finished, turn off the UV light and the variac
Notes: If you shine the UV light on a powered neon light, the light will interact with the Neon according to the Photoelectric effect, exciting electrons that will emit photons.