Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration shows the conservation of energy and linear momentum for multiple collisions.
Each ball has an equal weight and equal size.
- Newton’s Cradle
- Make sure all the balls are lined up.
- Explain how the balls are connected with strings.
- Pull one ball up and let it go, note that only one ball leaves the other side each time. This is counter intuitive for some students.
- Stop the cradle and now pull up to balls together. Note again that two balls leave the other side. This, again, is counter intuitive for some students.
- Repeat this with pulling up 3, 4, and 5 balls.
- You may also do more complicated things like lifting up 2 balls on one side, and 4 balls on the other, and dropping them at the same time.