Video: Watch this demo – Wood
Description: A demonstration to show the angle of repose: the angle at which gravity overcomes the force of static friction and the block starts to slide.
- Angle of repose apparatus (see photo)
- Blocks of various masses and material
- Wooden block
- Block with sandpaper
- Block with leather
- Plastic block
- Gather together all the materials; make sure everything is in working order.
- Place block at the top of the ramp.
- To adjust the angle, loosen the wing nut on the apparatus.
- Find the angle of repose.
Concepts: Shows the concept of angle of repose. Can be used to show the approximation that:
where, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and θ is the angle of repose.