Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration shows how the velocity of a water stream is dependent on pressure.
This is because the pressure at the bottom is greater, yet the size of the hole is the same for each. The force must therefore be greater.
- Velocity of efflux tube
- 3 Tooth picks
- Food coloring
- Jack stand
- Insert the three tooth picks into the holes (alternatively use tape if the toothpicks do not create a good seal).
- Fill the tube to the top with water and mix in food coloring.
- Place on a jack stand and position so the water will go into the sink.
- When ready, pull out the three toothpicks quickly.
- Note that the lower the height of the hole, the faster the water comes out.