Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demo shows the force of atmospheric pressure.
- Vacuum pump
- Can with appropriate stopper (fitted for vacuum pump)
- Attach the vacuum pump hose to the stopper and plug in the vacuum pump.
- When ready, turn on the vacuum pump.
- Note that the can is crushed by the outside atmospheric pressure (as there is reduced pressure inside the can now).
- When finished, turn off the vacuum pump.
This demo shows how pressure relates to volume. Its important to not the vacuum is not creating the force to crush the can, instead the vacuum removes air from the can which is a fixed volume. This causes the internal air pressure of the can to drop, allowing the much greater atmospheric pressure to reduce the volume of the can to move toward equalizing the pressure.