5N20.40: Tesla coil
5N20.50: Tesla coil and Fluorescent Light (Watch this demo)
5N20.55: Electrodeless Discharge
5N20.60: Tesla coil and Skin Effect
Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demo uses a Tesla coil to illuminate a fluorescent light bulb
The high voltage charges generated by the coil create strong electric fields that excite the gas in the fluorescent tube, causing them to emit light.
- Table top Tesla coil
- Long florescent bulb
- Circular florescent bulb
- Large Clear light bulb
- Neon gas filled tube
- Test to make sure the Tesla coil powers on and lights the bulbs.
- Turn on the Tesla coil by flipping the switch up
- Either with the room lights on or off, bring one of the florescent bulbs near the Tesla coil
- Repeat with the other florescent bulb
- Repeat with the clear light bulb
- The neon tube will glow red and the light bulb will glow a purple (due to the gas composition)
High Intensity Ultraviolet Light
Do not stare at the spark gap. Dangerous amounts of UV radiation may be emitted.
High Voltage / High Frequency
Due to the high frequency high voltage, keep away from sensitive electronics.
Avoid long contact, as electrical burns may occur.