Video: Watch this demo
Description: A beam of electrons is directed through an evacuated glass tube. A current is applied to the adjacent Helmholtz coils, creating a magnetic field that deflects the electrons.
- DC power supply
- E/M Tube with matching high voltage power supply
- Black cloth sheet
- Video camera able to capture in low light
- 2 Banana plugs
- Move the E/M Tube and high voltage power supply as one unit (don’t take apart).
- Connect the E/M tube to the DC power supply.
- Test to make sure it works correctly.
- Cover it with a cloth and align the camera at it. Connect the camera to the AV equipment.
- Turn on the high voltage power supply and wait a few minutes for the filament to heat up.
- Turn on the DC power supply and adjust to deflect the beam. The low voltage DC power supply controls the Helmholtz coil. Do not go over 2A @ 6VDC.
- When finished, turn off both power supplies.