Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration shows how a magnetic field can deflect a beam of electrons.
- Crooke’s Tube
- High voltage DC power supply
- Bar magnet
- 2 Banana plug cables
- 2 Alligator clips
- Electric Magnetizer
- Using the electric magnetizer, magnetize two bar magnets.
- Connect the Crooke’s tube to the high voltage DC power supply.
- Turn on the power supply and ensure a visible electron beam appears, then turn off the power.
- Face the appropriate side of the crooke’s tube to the class.
- Turn on the power supply.
- Bring a bar magnet near the tube to deflect the beam.
- If you reverse the magnet and use the other pole, note that the beam moves in the opposite direction.
- When finished, turn off the power supply.
High voltages are produced. Never touch when the power supply is on.
This device emits X-ray radiation. Avoid long exposure.