Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration illustrates the pieces that make up a simple electromagnet.
- DC power supply
- 500 Turn solenoid
- 2 iron cores
- 2 Banana plug cables
- Connect the coil of wire to the power supply.
- Test to make sure everything is working.
- Show that when the power is off, the two inductors are not attracted to each other.
- Insert one iron inductor into the solenoid
- Turn on the power supply. Don’t exceed the max current stated on the solenoid.
- Bring the inductor near the one in the solenoid, and note that they attract each other.
- Explain that this is how a basic electromagnet works.
- When finished, turn off the power supply. You can show them that the two inductors no longer attract each other.