Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration shows the behavior of a simple electromagnet powered by a 9V battery.
You can also test if the electromagnet exhibits hysteresis.
- 9V battery
- A few nails
- Check to make sure the battery is charged.
- Show that the electromagnet won’t pick up the nails when not connected to the battery.
- Connect the electromagnet to the 9V battery.
- Use the electromagnet to pick up some nails.
- Disconnect the battery and show the students the electromagnet won’t pick up the nails.