Video: Watch this demo
Description: A wire coil is connected in series to a battery and light.
When the wire coil is put in the Liquid Nitrogen, the light bulb will become brighter.
The wire coil’s resistance decreased.
- Power Supply
- 6.3V light bulb with stand
- Wire coil (shown above)
- Dewar with LN2 (use the one pictured above as the coil can easily fit inside)
- Safety equipment: Mask, thermal gloves, and thermal apron
- Set up the power supply in series with the light bulb, and slowly increase voltage to show the bulb getting brighter.
- Turn down the voltage so there is almost no light coming from the bulb, then attach the coil in series to the bulb.
- Remove the dewar cover and lower the coil into it by holding on the string near the top of the coil, where the wires connect.
- The bulb will continue to brighten as you dip the coil further into the LN2.
Use caution when working with liquid nitrogen, as it is very cold.