Description: This demonstration shows the induction of neutral soap bubbles when they float near the Van de Graff machine. Initially the bubbles are attracted to the charged dome, but as they get close, some charge leaks from the dome to the bubbles, giving them a net charge of the same sign as the dome, and they are quickly repelled away!
- Van de Graff with grounding rod
- Bubble soap
- Bubble wand
- Turn on the Van de Graff generator
- Carefully blow bubbles towards the generator
- Try to blow the bubbles above the generator so they have time to gain charge as they drift
- Turn off and ground the generator once finished