Videos: Watch this Demo
Description: This demonstration illustrates how craters are formed by colliding masses.
- Sand box
- Various size metal balls
- Small 12V light bulb
- DC power supply
- Video camera on tripod
- Something flat, like a block of wood
- 2 Banana plug cables
- Smooth the sand using something flat, such as a block of wood.
- Place the light bulb inside the sand box in a corner.
- Set the light to about 9V.
- Setup the video camera to the AV equipment and position to look at the sand box.
- Turn on the power supply.
- Drop a metal ball from a few feet up (about as high as you can reach).
- Note the size and shape of the crater.
- This may be repeated with different size balls or from different heights.