Description: This demo uses a larger Tesla coil to illuminate a fluorescent light bulb. The exposed components, especially the spark gap creates a loud sustained spark when operating.
The high frequency and high voltage will actually excite the gas in the fluorescent tube.
- Large Tesla coil
- U-Core with Yoke
- 500 Turn Coil
- 23,000 Turn Coil
- Subdivided Spark Gap
- Leyden Jar
- Long florescent bulb
- Circular florescent bulb
- Large Clear light bulb
- Neon gas filled tube
- Connect the components according to the circuit diagram below
- Clear the bench of any electronics or large metallic objects
- Turn on the variac and increase the voltage until the spark gap begins to spark (approx. 70V)
- Either with the lights on or off, bring one of the florescent bulbs near the Tesla coil.
- Repeat with the other florescent bulb.
- Bring one of the clear lights near it.
- The neon will glow red, and the light bulb will glow a purple color due to its gas composition.
High Intensity Ultraviolet Light
Do not stare at the spark gap. Dangerous amounts of UV radiation may be emitted.
High Voltage / High Frequency
Due to the high frequency high voltage, keep away from sensitive electronics.
Avoid long contact, as electrical burns may occur.