Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration uses a hero’s engine to illustrate that with increased temperature and constant volume,
the increase in pressure causes the steam to escape.
- Hero’s Engine apparatus
- Bunsen burner
- Long pole and short rod
- Table clamp and S clamp
- Setup the rods as shown in the picture.
- Put a thin layer of water in the hero’s engine.
- Place the hero’s engine on the top rod.
- Connect the Bunsen burner to the gas valve and position directly below the hero’s engine.
- Test to make sure it works.
- When the professor is finished, use caution as the equipment may still be hot.
- Turn on the gas valve and light the Bunsen burner.
- Wait a few minutes until the steam starts to come out.
- Note that as the steam exits, it pushes on the hero’s engine to cause a torque. Thus the engine spins.
- When finished, turn off the gas valve.
Keep away from flammable materials.