Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration shows what happens to the volume of a balloon when pressure is reduced.
- Vacuum pump
- Bell jar
- Inflate the balloon only a little as shown in the first picture. Place in the bell jar.
- Connect the bell jar to the vacuum pump. Leave the valve open.
- Plug in the vacuum pump.
- Note to the students the size of the balloon.
- Turn on the vacuum pump.
- Note that the balloon inflates due to the decreased pressure inside the bell jar.
- When finished, turn off the vacuum pump.