Video: Watch this demo
Description: Crush the can using the principles of thermodynamics.
- Metal can filled with 1.5cm water
- Bunsen burner, stand, and matches
- Vacuum grease
- Protective gloves
- LN2 or cold water (optional)
- Connect the Bunsen burner to the gas line and put the stand over the burner.
- Fill the can with about 1.5cm of water.
- Put a little vacuum grease on the can cover (to make an air tight seal when you cap it).
- Put the can on the stand with the cap off and light the burner.
- Wait until a steady amount of steam is boiling off. (may take 10-20 minutes)
- Turn the flame off, and cover the can with the cap tightly (use protective gloves)
- You can either let it cool off slowly, or pour some LN2 or cold water over it (LN2 or water are more effective and faster).
Keep away from flammable materials.