Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration shows convection currents.
- Convection Tube
- Food Coloring
- (Optional) UV reactive dye and UV light
- Bunsen burner
- Table clamp
- S clamp
- long pole and short rod
- 2 Finger clamps
- Connect the rods as shown in the picture.
- Connect the two finger clamps onto the small rod.
- Fill up the convection tube with water.
- Hang the convection tube on the two finger clamps.
- Connect the Bunsen burner to the gas valve and place under one side of the convection tube.
- Test the Bunsen burner and set it to a small flame.
- When taking apart the apparatus, use caution as the parts might still be very hot.
- Turn on the gas and light the Bunsen burner to make a small flame (too much heat and the water starts to boil).
- Add a drop or food coloring into the top. Note that the food coloring follows the convection current in the tube.
- (Optional) If using the UV dye, add a drop to the water, turn off the lights, and turn on the UV light. Hold the UV light up to the tube and watch the convection currents.
- When finished, turn off the flame.
Keep away from flammable materials.
Note: If the water gets too hot, the water may bubble out of the top.