Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration shows the thermal properties (thermal expansion) of metal.
One set has a ball that fits through the ring at room temperature, and the other has a ball that does not fit through at room temperature.
- 2 Ball and ring sets
- Bunsen burner
- Connect the Bunsen burner to the gas valve in the classroom.
- Light the Bunsen burner.
- Show the students the set where the ball fits through the ring at room temperature.
- When you heat the BALL of the one that DOES fit, the ball expands and then it will not fit.
- Show the students the set where the ball does not fit through the ring at room temperature.
- When you heat the RING of the one that doesn’t fit, the ring expands and the ball then fits through. Students often find this situation a little counter-intuitive.
- When finished, turn off the gas valve.
Keep away from flammable materials.