Description: This demonstrates the stress pattern in different plastic shapes using polarized light (example of birefringence).
- Stress plastic set
- 2 Polarizers
- Overhead projector
- Tape one polarizer directly onto the overhead projector.
- Don’t forget to remove the polarizer from the overhead projector when done.
- Place the polarizer onto the overhead projector. Change the orientation until the desired amount of light is passing through.
- Place one stress plastic onto the overhead projector. Note that you can see the stress pattern in the plastic.
- Place the stress plastic into the hand clamp.
- Place it back over the overhead projector. Gently squeeze the handle and note the stress pattern changes.
- This can be repeated for the different shaped stress plastics.
- When finished, return everything to the box it came in.