Description: This demonstration uses the plane mirror from the blackboard optics set to show how light
reflects off a plane mirror.
- Blackboard optics laser
- Laser power adapter
- Flat mirror and blackboard clamp
- Block all the laser holes except one.
- Connect the power adapter to the laser.
- Remember to collect the laser off the blackboard (common mistake!)
- Place the laser on the board.
- Attach the flat mirror to the blackboard clamp.
- Position the mirror on the black board facing the laser.
- Turn on the laser (press in and over).
- Note that the laser beam reflects off the flat mirror. Adjust the mirror to have different angles and note what happens to the reflected laser light. Note that the incident angle is equal to the reflected angle.
- If you want, you can remove the clay and show multiple laser beams.
- When finished, turn off the laser (press over and out).
Do not stare at the laser beam. Do not point the laser at students.
Note: It works best if you have chalk on the chalk board. This will make it easier for the class to see the laser beam.