Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration shows how kinetic energy gets transferred into potential energy through conservation of momentum and energy.
- Ballistic pendulum
- Arm the ballistic pendulum by pressing the ball back (spring loaded). This may require a little effort.
- When ready, press the trigger.
- Note that most of the kinetic energy is transferred to potential energy.
- Quantitative measurements can be taken to determine the initial speed of the pendulum, etc.
- Also note that this is very close to an inelastic collision.