Video: Watch this demo
Description: Illustrates the effect of different radii in rotational torque.
- Rotating apparatus
- 2 Sets of weights
- 1 table clamp
- 2 S clamps
- 1 long pole
- 2 short poles
- Setup the rods and clamps as shown in the picture.
- Attach the apparatus to the vertical rod.
- If specifically requested, a variation of this apparatus is available which has a large rotational inertia, though we do not recommend it.
This variation requires two horiztonal supports at the same hight as can be seen here: Pic 1, Pic 2.
This apparatus is very heavy, so make sure the table is not prone to falling over!
- You may start off with two equal masses and show that the outer wheel experiences a larger torque.
- Add weights to the smaller wheel until the system reaches static equilibrium.
- You may try different radaii. There are a total of 4 radaii to choose from.