Video: Watch this demo
Description: This visually shows the importance of torque.
A large bolt attached to a screw is tight. One can not turn it with their bare hands.
With the use of the large wrench, it is easy to twist.
- Table with small hole in it.
- Large screw and bolt
- Large wrench
- Attach the large screw and bolt to the table by using the smaller screw, bolt, and washer.
- Tighten the large bolt to a point where it can hold the wrench (see second picture).
- Have a very strong student try and turn the bolt. It will not move.
- Use the large wrench to turn the bolt with very little effort.
- This illustrates the importance of torque. The distance away makes a big difference and not just the force used.
- You may also show that the bolt is able to hold the wrench stationary (see second picture).
- When finished, place the wrench somewhere where it can not hurt students.