5N20.40: Tesla coil
5N20.50: Tesla coil and Flourescent Light
5N20.55: Electrodeless Discharge
5N20.60: Tesla coil and Skin Effect
Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demo uses a tesla coil to illuminate a fluorescent light bulb
The high frequency and high voltage will actually excite the gas in the fluorescent tube.
- Table top tesla coil
- Long florescent bulb
- Circular florescent bulb
- Large Clear light bulb
- Neon gas filled tube
- Test to make sure the tesla coil works and the bulbs light up.
- Turn on the tesla coil by moving the switch down (three way switch).
- Either with the lights on or off, bring one of the florescent bulbs near the tesla coil.
- Repeat with the other florescent bulb.
- Bring one of the clear lights near it.
- The neon will glow red, and the light bulb will glow a purple color due to its gas composition.
High Intensity Ultraviolet Light
Do not stare at the spark gap. Dangerous amounts of UV radiation may be emitted.
High Voltage / High Frequency
Due to the high frequency high voltage, keep away from sensitive electronics.
Avoid long contact, as electrical burns may occur.