Video: Watch this demo
Description: This demonstration shows the force on a current carrying wire loop in a magnetic field.
- Large DC power supply
- Current Loop apparatus
- 2 Bar magnets
- Electric magnetizer
- 4 Banana plug cables
- Use the electric magnetizer to magnetize the two bar magnets.
- Place the two magnets on their posts as shown in the picture.
- Connect the Current loop apparatus to the power supply using two cables in parallel per terminal.
- With the switch open, turn on the power supply.
- Close the switch and note that the wire loop spins.
- If you move the switch to the opposite direction, the current is reversed and the wire loop will spin in the other direction.
- When finished, turn off the power supply.