Video: Watch this demo
Description: Iron filings are sprinkled around a vertical wire running through plexiglass.
The iron filings align themselves with the magnetic field caused by the current in the wire.
- Large DC power supply
- Vertical wire piece
- Two vertical wire piece
- Iron Filings
- 4 Banana plug cables
- Overhead Projector
- Connect the vertical wire piece to the power supply using two cables in parallel per terminal.
- Test to make sure both apparatuses work.
- Place on the overhead projector and focus it.
- When the professor is done, dump the filings on a piece a paper and then pour them back into the jar.
- Turn on the overhead projector.
- Turn on the power supply.
- Sprinkle iron filings on the Vertical wire piece. You may tap the piece a little to help them align. Note that the filings align in the direction of the magnetic field created around the wire.
- This may be repeated with the two vertical wire piece.
- When finished, turn off the power supply.